Rebuilt in the 15th century on the feudal mound, the Château de Pompadour was remodelled in the 18th century. In 1745, it was given the title of Marquise to the famous favourite of Louis XV. It was partly destroyed during the Revolution and burnt down in the 19th century. Only the south wing and the outer wall remain of the important fortress. The facade, with its machicolation walkway, is flanked by large pepperpot towers. An entrance châtelet leads to a large terrace surrounded by ditches and flanked by seven low towers. It currently houses a stud farm, which was royal in 1761 and became national in 1872.
Prices vary according to the formula chosen: castle and stables and/or equestrian activities and/or the Chignac domain. Free for children under 6 years old. Reduced rate: children aged 6 to 14, disabled persons, jobseekers, students and large families: minimum of 3 children. Ticket office located at the entrance of the castle (left tower).
Last admission: 1 hour before the site closes.